[Eeglablist] Correction baseline : removing the mean value or high-pass filtering ?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 23 18:41:10 PST 2014

Dear Emmanuelle,

Sorry for the terrible delay.

> Generally, the baseline correction means to remove a mean value from each
epoch. I am wondering if a high pass filter, applied on the whole recorded
signal, can perform the baseline correction.

Yes, after high-pass filtering the so-called 'baseline' is more or less
around mean zero. However it depends on your baseline length, the cut-off
freq of the high-pass filter, the nature of the task and 'baseline', etc...
because of these conditions, there is no guarantee that your 'baseline' is
mean zero unless you explicitly 'correct baseline'.

By the way, the concept of 'baseline' is a little bit misleading: what it
really means is 'the period in which brain activity is relatively unrelated
to/temporally sufficiently separated from the event of interest'.

Makoto