[Eeglablist] Topographical plots for frequency band

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 25 19:11:38 PST 2014

Dear Rohit,

> is it possible to give a frequency band - say Alpha as average of all
frequencies from 8-12Hz ?

Unfortunately I don't think GUI supports it unless you read so in the help.

> But from what Nico said - it seems he wants to plot this information "at
a specific time point".

Band-pass filter, Hilbert transform, and use pop_spectopo() function.

> As far as I know, the frequency domain / power spectral density plot as
made by spectopo should give this information about a specific time
interval of data - say 1 second/ 10 seconds etc. I don't think it can be
for a particular time point.

Yes.

> There might be ways to make this time segment shorter, but that would
probably be detrimental to the depiction of slower waveforms.

You can't cheat the time-frequency trade off.

> On the other hand, I wonder whether Wavelet based methods will be more
appropriate for shorter time segments ?

I would use the abovementioned method using Hilbert transform since it
gives you instantaneous amplitude.

Makoto