[Eeglablist] Qs about single vs. double precision

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 23 14:43:23 PST 2015

Iterative computations (including ICA decomposition) require double
precision to remain accurate ...

Scott Makeig

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Monica,
>
> single
> http://matlab.izmiran.ru/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/ch11_st4.html#56685
> double
> http://matlab.izmiran.ru/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/ch11_st4.html#58265
>
> > I once read in one of your emails that Matlab 2014 becomes unstable is
> it is single precision EEG data and that double precision data is better.
>
> Really? If you say some of EEGLAB/Matlab functions cannot handle single
> precision data since default is double, that makes sense.
>
> Makoto
>

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Monica Parelkar <mparelkar at cfri.ca> wrote:
>
>>   Hi,
>>
>> I once read in one of your emails that Matlab 2014 becomes unstable is
>> it is single precision EEG data and that double precision data is better.
>> I googled up to understand what is single vs. double precision data but
>> could not find any information.
>>
>> Can someone please explain what they are or provide a weblink I can read
>> up?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Monica
>>

>> Monica Parelkar
>>
>> Research Assistant (Dept. of Psychiatry, UBC)
>>
>> CFRI-Centre for Autism Research
>>
>> 938 West 28th Avenue, 3rd floor, Workstation 3
>>
>> Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H4

>> eeglablist-request at sccn.ucsd.edu
>>

> --
> Makoto Miyakoshi

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0961, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott