[Eeglablist] Bilateral dipoles

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 27 10:49:32 PDT 2015

Dear Salim,

Well, the assumption in using ICA on EEG is that the decomposed ICs should
have dipolar scalp topos (for detail, see Delorme et al, 2012 Plos One
'Independent components are dipolar') Your IC17 is not dipolar
unfortunately, so it is not likely that IC17 reflects good brain activity.

When you create STUDY, you may want to apply 15% residual variance
threshold (by default). It's like a rule of thumb (there is indirect
evidence that supports it shown in Artoni's recent publication, but it is
not explicitly stated). You may want to exclude any ICs larger than r.v. >
15 % (or localized in outside brain).

Makoto