[Eeglablist] active electrodes

Geoff Mackellar geoff at emotiv.co
Thu Mar 26 10:59:27 PDT 2015

You do not need FDA approval to use an EEG device for recording and
research purposes, unless specifically required by your IRB or research
institution. Any device which has US safety certifications and FCC Part 15
certification can be used safely on human subjects.

CE is a broader category - a manufacturer can affix the CE mark after
certifying (or having certified by a registered body) that the product
comply with all necessary EU regulations for the intended class of use.
That means if a product is specified as a medical product then it must
comply with medical certifications ad must be manufactured in a compliant
facility with medical grade vigilance (EN601.1 and EN13485). Consumer and
research devices do not require this level of certification, but safety and
radio emission requirements must also be met (also recycling, hazardous
substances excluded in manufacture and so on).
FDA and other medical certifications are required if a device is marketed
for use in diagnostic or therapeutic applications, typically administered
by trained medical professionals. Some institutions insist on this level of
certification for devices even if they are not used in this context, but
are applied to human subjects.

Geoffrey Mackellar PhD
CEO, Emotiv Research Pty Ltd
Co-founder and CTO, Emotiv, Inc.