[Eeglablist] Combining data from different tasks within the same EEG session for ICA

Stephen Politzer-Ahles spa268 at nyu.edu
Mon Jun 1 19:04:35 PDT 2015

Hi Neil,

It seems to me like it would in fact be better to submit all the data to
the same ICA decomposition, especially if you plan on comparing them, since
you would want any differences you do observe to be based on the tasks
themselves, rather than differences you introduced by running different
compositions (and perhaps removing different components). Indeed, in most
ERP research comparing different conditions, one would still expect
underlying neural activity to show [slight] differences between conditions,
but trials of the different conditions are still usually combined in the
same ICA decomposition. See the following message for more discussion of
this (as well as discussion of how you could go about the analysis using
separate ICAs): http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2011/003694.html

Also, as an aside, you asked if it matters whether the epochs are different
lengths; I'm not sure EEGLAB can handle epochs of differing lengths anyway?
To do that, you may need to use an additional plugin, or try Fieldtrip, or
concatenate the epochs to look like continuous data (which may raise other
issues; this has been discussed on the list before, but I don't recall the
details).

Best,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles