[Eeglablist] EOG Artifact removal before ICA?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 3 11:14:46 PDT 2015

Dear Alexander,

Here is Makoto's pipeline for your info
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline

Don't use EOG artifact remover before ICA. Let ICA take care of it, since
it's the best algorithm to decompose EOG and blinks. I compared 33ch vs.
same data but reduced to 3ch (Fz, Cz, Pz) and run ICA. Interestingly, the
first component in both results showed identical ERPimage!

If you apply ICA, apply high-pass filter at 1Hz with transition bandwidth
1Hz (0.25-0.75Hz transition).

You may not need to epoch before ICA. Make sure that you have enough (i.e.
channel^2 x 30 or larger) datapoints if sampled at 250Hz (you can
downsample to 125Hz if you inspect only up to 60Hz or around... this
actually helps ICA)

I have no experience with ADJUST, sorry.

If you re-reference, do it to average reference. According to Jason Palmer,
it's better that you average reference before ICA (but after bad-channel
removal).

Makoto