[Eeglablist] EOG Artifact removal before ICA?

Alexander Quent alexander.quent at rub.de
Fri May 29 05:26:46 PDT 2015

Hello,
I have a more general question concerning the order of steps in
pre-processing process.

Aim: I want to look at negative mean amplitudes between 440 and 540 msec.

My set up:
32 channels of which 4 are used for recording EOG and 1 is used an
additional mastoid reference electrode.

My general plan:
I want to use remove artifacts using ICA. What I am asking myself is
whether it is legitimate to remove EOG artifacts before running the ICA
using a different plugin? Is the apparent redundancy in any way problematic?
This is what I want to do:
1. Removing slow linear trend (high pass filter circa 0.3 Hz)
2. Removing EOG artifacts using BSS with AAR plugin
(http://www.germangh.com/eeglab_plugin_aar/)
3. Removing EOG channels
4. Visually inspect data for artifacts
5. Remove bad channels
6. Low pass filter and epoching
7. Run ICA
8. Run ADJUST 1.1
9. Re-reference to linked mastoid and baseline correction

Since this is my first ERP analysis, I am sure whether this pipeline is
legitimate: Especially due to the fact that I want use BSS and ICA, but
also whether it is okay to re-reference to linked mastoid at the end.

Maybe you have some advise for me.

With best regards,
Alexander Quent