[Eeglablist] Effect of anti-aliasing low-pass filter on connectivity analysis

Vito de Feo vito.defeo at zmnh.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jun 24 03:45:02 PDT 2015

  Dear Makoto,
if you are using non parametric directionality methods (i.e.
cross-correlation) you can filter as you want, just use filtfilt and eeglab
uses filtfilt.
If you are using parametric methos (i.e. Granger with SIFT) than is better
don't filter and use just cleanline for 50 Hz (or 60Hz in USA) and a very
broadband low pass filtering (as Anil Seth write in several papers). This
low pass filter has to be very far from the band of interest. So if you
want respect the Luck raccomandation on anti-aliasing filtering use an
higher rate, maybe 500 Hz if you can. If you can't the Anil Seth
reccomandation has the priority on the anti-aliasing reccomandation.
Consider to use unfiltered and not downsampled signal.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Vito

Link:
-----