[Eeglablist] Subjects number in ERP experiment

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 26 14:56:00 PDT 2015

Dear Ahmed,

> How much the minimum size of subject is required in an ERP experiment?

Friston says 16. Below I copied an excerpt from Friston (2012) 'Ten ironic
rules for non-statistical reviewers' I haven't read the paper in details
and I hope he is not ironic in this part :-)

In conclusion, we have framed a fallacy of classical inference in terms of
effect sizes and have argued that the optimum experimental design should
sensitize inference to large effect sizes, while desensitizing inference to
trivial effect sizes. For classical inference, based on alpha(0), this
leads to an optimum number of subjects of about 16.

Makoto