[Eeglablist] ICA Transformation on non-ASR or ASR cleaned data

Srinivas Kota svkota at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 08:47:18 PDT 2015

Hello

My EEG data consists of 71 channel and of 15 minutes duration with a
sampling rate of 1000 Hz. The preprocessing pipeline include
1.  high pass filter (1Hz)
2.  line noise filter
3.  bad channel rejection
4. common average reference
5. Artifact subspace reconstruction
6. AMICA
7. Apply ICA sphering and weighting matrices to data

Should I consider ASR cleaned data or average referenced data (prior ASR)
for applying ICA sphering and weighting matrices? Any explanation would be
helpful.

Let say, after step 5, I have 66 channels and ASR rejects one channel. I
get an error when I try to apply sphering and weighting matrices on non-ASR
cleaned data because icasphere and icaweights are matrices of size 65 by
65. To avoid this problem, should I remove that bad electrode prior average
reference so that ASR would not reject any electrodes?

Best
Srini

Srinivas Kota, Ph.D
Research Scientist
Movement and Neurosciences Center
Institute for Rehabilitation Science and Engineering
Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital
5401 South St, Lincoln, NE 68506
Email: svkota at gmail.com
Ph:  (618) 319-0471 (cell)