[Eeglablist] Re-referencing before or after creating bi-polar HEOG and VEOG channel

Stephen Politzer-Ahles spa268 at nyu.edu
Tue Jul 28 11:20:00 PDT 2015

Hi Melissa,

What was your electrode layout during acquisition? If you already had a
true bipolar montage (e.g., if you had had a pair of electrodes above and
below an eye but they only come out to one channel of data in the
acquisition) then those are already referenced to each other, so I believe
there is no need to re-reference those to something else (in fact I'm not
sure what it would mean); in my experience using such a setup, we
specifically excluded the bipolar EOG montages from re-referencing.

This may also depend on what method you intend to use for blink detection
and correction.

Best,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles