[Eeglablist] How can I epoch events that preceded a specific response?

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 10 08:14:13 PDT 2015

I wrote a command line function *eeg_context()* to enable building scripts
that will do custom epoch selection from a very wide range of possibilities
(it was not easy to get right and others helped in this). It is in the
EEGLAB miscellaneous functions folder.

Give *eeg_context()* a 'target' event.type to search for and then, around
that, a set of 'neighbor' event types to search for before or after the
target events.

For example,  'give me neighbor events of type 'button_press'  occurring
before target event of type 'cue'.

*eeg_context() *returns the values and latencies of the neighbor events.
So, from the output of the all above, I could easily search for 'all cue
events following reaction times > 400 ms,' etc.

One can also ask for the Nth 'neighbor' events following or preceding
'target' events -- for example the 3rd saccade onset following 'question'
presentations, etc.

An easy improvement to *eeg_context() *would be to simply return an output
structure rather than a set of disconnected outvars.   Anyone?

Scott Makeig

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:06 AM, <embar at super.lt> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you already epoched data with stimuli, you can select data with
> particular respose:
> EEG = pop_selectevent( EEG, 'type','1', 'deleteevents','off',
> 'deleteepochs','on', 'invertepochs','off').
> To select all epochs, that do not contain '1', use change 'invertepochs'
> option to 'on'.
> You can try use EEGLAB plugin Darbeliai can do conditional epoching in GUI.
> See
> https://github.com/embar-/eeglab_darbeliai/wiki/3.4.%20Complex%20epoching
> Installation instructions
> https://github.com/embar-/eeglab_darbeliai/wiki/2.%20Installation
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mindaugas
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am comparing 2 groups of participants in 4 different conditions (videos
> > with different audiovisual asynchronies).
> > After each video, the participants were asked to judge whether the video
> > just watched was in-sync (S1) or out-of-sync (S2).
> > Is there a way of epoching events that were followed by an in-sync
> > response separately from the ones that were followed by an out-of-sync
> > response?
> > I tried the code below for the in-sync responses (S1), without success..
> >
> > ep_lim = [-0.8, 2];
> > tps = {EEG.event.type};
> > corr_tp = find(strcmp('1', tps));
> > prev_ev = corr_tp - 1;
> > EEG = pop_epoch( EEG, {}, ep_lim, 'eventindices', prev_ev);
> >
> > Thank you for your attention!
> >
> > ana francisco
> > For digest mode, send an email with the subject "set digest mime" to
> > eeglablist-request at sccn.ucsd.edu

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0961, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott