[Eeglablist] Too much drift with just 0.1hz high-pass filtering?

Kevin Tan kevintan at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 12 12:45:30 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Many thanks for everyone's very detailed and thoughtful comments, they've
been invaluably helpful!

I systematically compared 0.1hz vs. 1hz data using two ERP searchlights:
the more liberal cluster mass permutation test, and the much more
conservative tMax permutation test. I used FWER = 0.1, 5000 permutations,
and cluster size of ~3.15cm.

0.1hz:
https://cmu.box.com/s/99lp08a2aodkyufp9iwkg2lxldhegu1z

1hz:
https://cmu.box.com/s/th5w62gunm9c9q23j5806ra6zue2u686

In my interpretation, it seems like the 'drift' in the 0.1hz data really
does seem to be evoked infraslow components. 1hz filter reduces differences
between conditions (amplitude & t-scores), makes significance less
temporally cohesive, and eliminates late SW component. This is true for
both cluster permutation & tMax permutation tests.

I'm doing an object valence study and infraslow components are well
established in the literature (hopefully that's not inducing confirmation
bias :-P).

Detrending per epoch seemed to reduce significance but still need to do it
more systematically.

Thanks again,
Kevin

--