[Eeglablist] Too much drift with just 0.1hz high-pass filtering?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 13 15:20:54 PDT 2015

Dear Kevin,

Thanks for sharing the results of nice comparison (and good demonstration
of David's tool).

> In my interpretation, it seems like the 'drift' in the 0.1hz data really
does seem to be evoked infraslow components.

You mean 0.1-1.0Hz.

> 1hz filter reduces differences between conditions (amplitude & t-scores),
makes significance less temporally cohesive, and eliminates late SW
component. This is true for both cluster permutation & tMax permutation
tests.

I agree. The EEG activities distribute smoothly across frequency ranges
anyways, so it is not surprising. I would also find <1Hz activities in all
of my past P300 studies etc.

> I'm doing an object valence study and infraslow components are well
established in the literature (hopefully that's not inducing confirmation
bias :-P).

Yes why not following the literature.

Makoto