[Eeglablist] Effect of anti-aliasing low-pass filter on connectivity analysis

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Tue Aug 25 02:50:03 PDT 2015

Dear Makoto,

> I have been wondering about this but keep forgetting to ask you about it:
>
> > no stopband (below Nyquist)
>
> Why do you need to avoid having a stopband below Nyquist?
> I appreciate your kind help.
This refers to the notion by Barnett and Seth (2011; quoted below) that „low power in stop band“ is one primary cause for the large increase in required empirical model order and thus, responsible for the problems introduced by filtering in Granger causality analysis.

This only applies to GC analysis. For standard ERP-analysis it might be recommended to have a considerably lower anti-aliasing filter cutoff and a stopband below Nyquist to improve signal fidelity. In the repaired pop_resample function anti-aliasing cutoff and transition band/roll-off can be adjusted on the command line.

Hope this helps! Best,
Andreas