[Eeglablist] Effect of anti-aliasing low-pass filter on connectivity analysis

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 25 10:35:15 PDT 2015

Dear Andreas,

Thank you. I found it in Barnett and Seth (2011) page 416 'We have shown
that a primary cause is the large increase in empirical model induced by
filtering; high model orders become necessary in order to properly fit the
modified aspects of the power spectrum (low power in stop band, steep
roll-off, etc.).'

Actually, this made me wonder whether ICA eases or complicates the solution
of Granger Causality analysis; ICA-decomposed signals tend to have unique
frequency spectra and thus increase the variance across signals. I remember
when I cluster ICs just by spectra at the group-level analysis, the result
was surprisingly well clustered spatially as well. Judging from this, I
guess ICA complicates Granger Causality analysis. Maybe that's why I can
never get a satisfactory results in model validation in SIFT.

Thank you very much Andreas! Your input is very precious all the time.

Makoto