[Eeglablist] Question about EEGLAB tutorial

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:59:18 PDT 2015

Dear Jason,

> 1-What's the meaning of the word "conditions" in upper section "To
compare event-related EEG dynamics for a subject in two or more conditions
from the same experiment"? In other words, does that mean, if I have
dataset of one participant with 2 events ("rt", and "square"), and  in oder
to compare those events, I need to seperate my data into 2 datasets where
each of them has one event (first dataset is related to the rt event, and
second dataset is related to the square event?

A condition here means independent variable in the experimental framework.
There are within-subject conditions and between-subject (i.e. group)
conditions.

For example, Oddball paradigm typically consists of standard (95%
frequency) and rare (5% frequency) trials. This is a within-subject
condition, and you use repeated measures (or 'paired') for statistics. An
example of between-subject condition is the group difference between
American and Japanese, or those who drink offer vs. black tea, etc.

> 2-Is the term "event-related EEG dynamics" (mentioned up) can be
considered as "event-related potential"?

Right. They don't want to use 'event-related potential' because for the
historical reason it tends to mean trial-averaged line plot of
event-related potentials.

Makoto