[Eeglablist] Combining datasets, with ICA weights, by stacking NOT concatenating

James Jones-Rounds jj324 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 5 09:46:48 PST 2016

Hello all,

I have a question about stacking datasets that have ICA weights. It might
seem a bit blasphemous. I want to use SIFT (in component space) to assess
connectivity between two different individuals' brains, who performed a
speaking-listening task. Because they were communicating, their datasets
share the same time-course.

Can I just stack the ICA weights of dataset B, below dataset A? For
example, if the EEG.icaact field for dataset A is 13 x 10000, and if that's
the same for dataset B, can I just assign dataset B's EEG.icaact field to
rows 14:26, in a new "frankenstein" EEG.icaact field that has dimensions
[26 x 10000] ?

Besides some obvious issues resulting from ICA being run on two separate
datasets, are there any basic matrix-math issues caused by doing this?

Finally, how would I stack the EEG.icasphere, EEG.icaweights, and
EEG.icawinv fields? Do I even need to if the EEG.icaact field is already
computed separately for each dataset?

Thank you for your help!!

James

--