[Eeglablist] Eye Movement Artifact correction

Agnieszka Zuberer azuberer at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:57:02 PST 2016

Dear eeglab-users,

we currently do measurements with 4 eye-, 2 mastoids- and 3 scalp
electrodes (FZ,CZ,OZ)
struggling with finding a suitable eye movement artifact correction
procedure.

   - *ICA *can only create components equal to one less than the total
   number of electrodes that one has recordings from, so this procedure
   probably will not be suitable.
   - We tried a *regression based correction* (gratton et al, 1985) but it
   was over-correcting the artifact, sometimes even flipping polarities of
   eye blinks amplitudes.
   - one can remove some noise with a low-pass filter, but that won't get
   rid of eye artifacts.
   - High-pass filters can distort potentials generated by eye blinks, so
   that it will become difficult to find them with *thresholding procedures*
   .

Advice for a proper solution for this problem would be highly appreciated.

Would a kurtosis based artifact correction (as implemented in eeglab) be
suitable in our special case or does the eeglab-plugin for kurtosis based
artifact rejection depend on a certain number of electrodes?

Thank you in advance for your response.
Agnieszka Zuberer