[Eeglablist] Phase synchronization question

Jung Hwa Han junghwahan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 01:54:29 PST 2016

Dear EEGLab list,

I have two questions. I'm analyzing EEG data and will be using PLV or phase
coherence to look at phase synchronization between pairs of electrodes.

1. How do PLV, Phase coherence, ERPCoh (EEGLAB) differ from each other
mathematically, and in layman's terms?

2. About how many repeated trials is enough to get a valid average ERPCoh
or PLV or Phase Coherence per person, if I'm interested in comparing
groups? Say I have 90 participants, 30 in each of the 3 groups that I want
to compare with each other, therefore I need to average phase
synchronization values over trials per person, then within groups, and then
compare the group averages. I would appreciate if anyone could help. Thanks
so much!

Jung