[Eeglablist] Phase synchronization question

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 22 01:26:40 PDT 2016

Dear Jung,

> 1. How do PLV, Phase coherence, ERPCoh (EEGLAB) differ from each other
mathematically, and in layman's terms?

They may differ a little bit but as long as you understand either one of
the two you'll be fine.

> 2. About how many repeated trials is enough to get a valid average ERPCoh
or PLV or Phase Coherence per person, if I'm interested in comparing
groups? Say I have 90 participants, 30 in each of the 3 groups that I want
to compare with each other, therefore I need to average phase
synchronization values over trials per person, then within groups, and then
compare the group averages.

30 trials would be close to minimum acceptable. Hopefully you have more
than 60 to above 100. If you have small number of trials, particularly the
phase data can become noisy.

Makoto