[Eeglablist] Problem using CleanLine

Christopher Barkley barkl025 at umn.edu
Thu Mar 31 00:19:24 PDT 2016

Hi all,
     I am having issues using Cleanline (The current release), and I am
using EEGLAB 13_4_3b), while following (with minor adjustments) Makoto's
pre-processing pipeline (
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline).
     We have noticed a strange 20Hz artifact in some of subject's data and
want to use CleanLine to eliminate it rather than a traditional notch
filter for fear of creating a band hole at this frequency. The issue is
that, after some messing around with various solutions, I've noticed that
CleanLine only is effective at reducing noise at this frequency when I
apply it to epoched data, but not continuous, data, and I was wondering if
anyone has any idea on why this might be.
     I plan to remove bad channels using TrimOutlier, interpolate, and then
reference to the CAR prior to epoching, so I don't want to delay
referencing, channel removal, etc. until post-epoching for fear of
introducing all sorts of noise into my data. Any help on this would be
*much* appreciated, many thanks.

Chris Barkley
College of Pharmacy
University of Minnesota