[Eeglablist] Component clustering and PCA reduction

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 6 16:26:12 PDT 2016

Dear Clemens,

> As for example, I want to reduce the dimensions of ERSP/dipoles, spectra,
given all ICs, which dimensions, what are the dimensions that would be
reduced for the respective measures?

If I remember correctly, EEGLAB manual says

1. Set the parameters so that total number of dimensions across all the
measures are <20-30 because k-means clustering performance becomes worse if
>30.

2. Do not use 'final dimension' thing.

I think it's a good idea to keep it below 20 to see how it works.
I personally recommend you use just dipole and just a little bit (weight 1
- 3) of spectrum with dimension 10-15. It's a good idea to avoid the
measure which you'll test using statistics in the end to avoid 'double
dipping' issue (if you don't know what it is, google 'voodoo correlation'.)

Makoto