[Eeglablist] preprocessing continuous data for spectral analysis with welch approach

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 1 16:20:16 PDT 2016

Dear Agnieszka,

First of all, if your data has poor quality you can't expect good results
even if you perform the fansiest signal processing. This is called GIGO
(garbage-in, garbage-out). There is no established way to evaluate the EEG
data quality in a non-relative sense (i.e. without depending on
experience). It's better to ask someone experienced to evaluate your data
quality.

For cleaning continuous data, I recommend using ASR in clean_rawdata()
plugin as a pre-ICA processing, then ICA. If this approach does not work, I
would doubt the data quality.

If you are interested in my personal memos for preprocessing pipeline, see
this page.

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline

Makoto