[Eeglablist] power spectrum versus power spectral density

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 1 18:31:49 PDT 2016

Dear Agnieszka,

I'm not a signal processing engineer but let me share with you what I
learned from this mailing list (mostly from Andreas). Everyone, if I am
wrong please correct me.

Power spectral density (PSD): the longer the analysis window, the larger
the value because it's sum of the total signal length.

Power spectrum: PSD divided by signal length in second.

Thus, PSD of 1 second data == Power Spectrum.

> what do we actually get out from averaging the power spectral density for
a specific frequency range, coded as mean(PSD(F>=fFreqency & F<=lastFreq));
(e.g. fFreqency = 3.5 lastFrequency 7.5 for Theta)

I believe using power spectrum makes sense almost all the time. Otherwise,
if subject A has twice longer recording time than subject B, the former
would show twice larger spectrum allover the broadband frequency, if my
understanding is correct.

Makoto