[Eeglablist] Epoch Length, and Normalization

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 1 18:55:40 PDT 2016

Dear Joseph,

> 1. What epoch lengths do I use for both blocks? Are -500ms to 3000ms, and
-500 to 5000ms okay for block 1 and block 2 respectively?

No, make them equal lengths.

> 2. For time-frequency transforms, do I need to subtract the baseline from
the data before I do the transformation?

Not necessary if your data is high-pass filtered properly. ERP baseline
subtraction is different from ERSP baseline subtraction too.

> 3. As a follow up from question 2, do I perform ICA before the
subtraction?

This does not matter, but after ICA sounds better. If you do, make sure
that you use long baseline (0.5-1 sec; if short baseline as pre-ICA
process, it'll compromise ICA performance by Groppe et al).

> 4. What is the effect of normalizing the data before computing the power
in each channel?

Do not normalize data for spectrum analysis. You'll lose information.

Makoto