[Eeglablist] Rejecting/interpolating/reconstructing bad channels

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 06:59:27 PDT 2016

Hello Christopher, notes below.

*Yes, as you mentioned, one can load a second file into eeglab that
has all the channels. Then in the interpolation GUI, click the button
that results in the difference. The option to select is either "use
specific channels of other dataset" or "use all channels from other
dataset". That should then do your interpolation for you correctly.
The codelet below is an example of the same steps.

%%%%%%have file to-be-interpolated in eeglab memory as the first
loaded file, then..

if EEG.nbchan < 128;  %does it have all the channels?
   EEG = pop_loadset('filename','ALL128CHANS.set','filepath', cd);
%load up allchannels file
   [ALLEEG, EEG, CURRENTSET] = eeg_store( ALLEEG, EEG, 0 ); EEG =
eeg_checkset( EEG );
   [ALLEEG EEG CURRENTSET] = pop_newset(ALLEEG, EEG,
CURRENTSET,'retrieve',1,'study',0);
   EEG = pop_interp(EEG, ALLEEG(2).chanlocs, 'spherical');     %get
all chan from second loaded file and interpolate
   [ALLEEG, EEG, CURRENTSET] = eeg_store( ALLEEG, EEG, CURRENTSET);
   currFILENAME= [EEG.filename(1:end-4) '_Interpolated'] ; %save the
interpolated file
   EEG = pop_saveset_tarik( EEG,
'filename',currFILENAME,'filepath',EEG.filepath);
end;
end;
ALLEEG = pop_delset( ALLEEG, [2] ); eeglab redraw

*For dropping channels, consider review and practice with the eeg
select data option in GUI to drop/remove channels, if you are not
using it already.
*STUDY can and will interpolate electrodes, you don't have to per subject.
*You'll likely have to make your own modifications at various parts of
the pipeline to fit your needs, expectations, and the analyses you are
trying to do.
*ADJUST is great, but have you reviewed your data to make sure that
you know if ICs that have some neural data are not thrown out. In my
experience you have to mess with the settings. Consider comparing
results to SASICA and IC-MARC IC classification plugins.