[Eeglablist] Rejecting/interpolating/reconstructing bad channels

Christopher Barkley barkl025 at umn.edu
Mon Aug 1 18:26:59 PDT 2016

Hi Makoto and fellow list-mates,
Pardon any ignorance on my end but I have been dealing with a particularly
'messy' data set (EEG was collected while subjects were heavily medicated)
so have been tinkering with the best way to pre-process to get the data as
clean as possible before creating STUDY. So... I basically used Makoto's
pre-processing pipe-line as a guide, down-sampling and filtering first,
then using 'trim-outlier' to remove (particularly) bad channels, keeping
track of which channels I was removing for each subject. The next steps are
where I may have gone astray: I first rejected non-sterotyped artifacts
manually, fed the resulting (epoched) data into ICA, rejecting components
using the ADJUST toolbox, fed the data *back *into ICA, and then manually
rejected the resulting pruned data. The goal was to clean the data to this
extent so that when I replaced/interpolated the removed channels the data
would be as clean as possible before calculating average reference, the
output of which would then also be as clean as possible. However when I try
to interpolate in the GUI, the list of 'removed channels' does not include
the ones that I removed, and choosing 'select from data channels'  in the
GUI menu leads me to a list that excludes the already removed channels....
Have I gone completely awry, or is there perhaps a way to use 'pop_interp'
and a EEG.chanlocs file from an initial pre-channel-deletion file in order
to get at the subject-specific channel-deletions? I know the number of
channels will need to be consistent for STUDY creation..... Anyways, many
apologies for the ramble, any advice will be much appreciated, all the best.

Chris Barkley
Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology
University of Minnesota