[Eeglablist] Removing bad channels before average referencing - how stringent should I be?

Jenny Bress jennifer.bress at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:35:17 PDT 2016

I recently began working in a lab that uses a dense-array cap and average
referencing. I typically work with a smaller number of electrodes and use
mastoid referencing, so this is a bit new to me. I know I should be
removing bad channels before re-referencing to the average in order to
avoid noise propagating to other channels, but I'm not sure how stringent
to be. Clearly I would remove channels recorded from electrodes with a
consistently bad connection, but what about channels that show slight 60 Hz
interference, or channels that were poorly connected for the first 20% of
the trials, but were then fixed and look fine for the rest of the task? Any
advice would be much appreciated.