[Eeglablist] applying CleanLine results to unfiltered data

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Mon Sep 5 02:54:28 PDT 2016

Hi Raquel,

both high-pass filtering and cleanline are linear operations. You just need two subtractions. There are two possible strategies which should end up in the identical result.

(1) Subtracting the high-pass filtered and "clean-lined" data from the high-pass only data gives you the line noise estimate. You can now subtract the line noise estimate from the unfiltered data.
or
(2) Subtracting the high-pass filtered data from the unfiltered data gives you the low frequency part of the data. You can then add the low frequency part back to the high-pass filtered and "clean-lined" data.

Make sure to work with double precision data as recommended in the subsequent paragraph of the quoted ref.

Hope this helps! Best,
Andreas