[Eeglablist] applying CleanLine results to unfiltered data

Raquel London raquellondon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 11:59:20 PDT 2016

Dear eeglab list,

I am interested in using CleanLine to get rid of 50 Hz line noise. However,
as I understand from the information I could find, it is important to use a
~1 Hz highpass filter on the data before applying the CleanLine algorithm.
I would prefer to use the method described in the PREP pipeline:

"We obtain essentially the same results if we high-pass the original
signal, remove line noise from the high-passed signal, and capture the
signal that was removed. We subtract the captured noise signal from the
original signal to obtain a “cleaned” unfiltered signal. If we subsequently
high-pass filter the cleaned unfiltered signal, we find the line noise has
been removed as though the signal had been filtered prior to line noise
removal. The result is similar for a 1 Hz high-pass filter. The PREP
pipeline uses this strategy for its line noise removal to avoid committing
to a filtering strategy for the final pipeline output."

However, and I apologize if this is a stupid question.., I am not able to
figure out how to implement this strategy. Is there any variable or set of
variables I can save after running CleanLine that I can then apply to the
unfiltered data, similar to what you can do with ICA weights?

Thank you!

Raquel