[Eeglablist] R: ICA and dipfit: high residual variance

Giovanni Vecchiato giovanni.vecchiato at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 08:48:03 PDT 2016

Dear Tarik and John,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Your notes helped to obtain more plausible ICA results from the localization point of view.

Actually, I was using that processing (HP @ 0.1Hz) to match the suggestion given by Tim Mullen to perform the connectivity analysis via SIFT, which is my final goal.
He provided a sample data collected at 256Hz and just high pass filtered at 0.1Hz before performing the ICA, DIPFIT and the following connectivity analysis.
That's why I initially opted for the same approach.

However, following your suggestion, I found benefits from a high pass filtering at 1Hz and a spatial downsampling (by eliminating the two more outer circumferences of electrodes), and a low pass at 70Hz which actually helped to obtain lower residual variance from the DIPFIT analysis. I used the PCA before computing ICA because I don't have enough trials to do it on all components; anyway, by computing ICA on the whole session (and not on trials) I did not find any improvement of residual variance.

After that, I start working on the connectivity analysis via SIFT and would like to share with the following observations.
My data are recorded with fs=500Hz and, according to the rule (M^2p)/(NtW)<0.1, I collected Nt=40 trials to estimate a Vieira-Morf model with W=0.3s, M=6 independent components and assuming a model order of 16.

By following the standard preprocessing of the tutorial, from the model order selection procedure I get the following values for the related criteria:

- hq=13
- aic=23

I set p=16 (which is the limit order I could apply according to the above rule) but the whiteness tests fail. Then, I tried to "force" the model fitting by using a p=23 but again the results of the following whiteness tests are negative.

Then, I repeated the analysis on the downsampled dataset at fs=250Hz.
In this way, using the same parameters for the analysis, I get the following values for the model order selection criteria:

- hq=10
- aic=15

which are too high to satisfy the ratio parameters/datapoints. However, in this case when I put p=15 the whiteness tests are positive for all the windows, the model is stable for all the windows and the average consistency is above the 80%. So I assume the following connectivity patterns are valid, although the model has been estimated without respecting the parameters/datapoints ratio.

Therefore, my issues are the following:

1) Should I avoid to use fs=500Hz when working with SIFT? From the tutorial I understood that there could be problems with this analysis with fs>500 but at this point I assume that also having fs=500Hz is risky.

2) When working with fs=250Hz, can I rely on the goodness of the model validation results (whiteness, consistency, stability) even if the model has been estimated without respecting the ratio parameters/datapoints?

Sorry for this long email, but hope to have been clear enough.
Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Giovanni