[Eeglablist] How does transferring ICA matrixes between same-subject data sets affect further processing?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 24 16:05:33 PDT 2016

Dear Duncan,

Your question is legitimate, Duncan. Actually a very good point, and
describing the current weakpoint of stationary ICA.

> I am not sure what happens with the parts of the signal that did not go
into ICA – it seems like this is unaccounted for by any independent
component?

I assume that you cut out the noisy part (data rejection), run ICA, and
apply the ICA weight to the unrejected data. If so, yes you are right, the
noise is not accounted by any ICs. The result is that you see the artifact
spread to all ICs.

> Would this mean that if I decided to subtract all IC’s from the data to
which the weight and sphering matrixes were transferred, there would be a
remaining signal consisting of all the activity that lacked in the passive
conditions?

Right, if I understand the situation you explained.

> I am assuming this also means that for example, any neck muscle activity
particular to the active conditions cannot be subtracted from the signal in
that data, for the donor data set did not contain this.

Right, again if my understanding is correct.

Strictly speaking, therefore, when you copy ICA weight matrix you should
know that the data that were not provided to ICA will not be decomposed
(particularly if the portion of data are associated with different types of
cognitive/physical/artifact states than those during ICA-learned
datapoints).

> And does this change if there was some minor neck muscle EMG signal
present in the donor set, compared to major activity in the receiving one?

As long as they come from the same source with the same volume conductance
and (scalp) mixing, it works and amplitude does not matter. I'm not sure if
muscles are that linear though.

> I guess this must at least help doing a better source localization of
such EMG signals, although that procedure in itself may be better left for
another discussion.

EMG are difficult for ICA because its source moves and spreads. This is
different issue though.

When you run amica (a plugin for EEGLAB, does better job than infomax), the
result comes with log likelihood values with which you can evaluate how
good the decomposition is for every datapoint. This is important to
evaluate stationarity of data. Because standard infomax in EEGLAB or
single-model AMICA generates one unmixing matrix, this is only valid when
your data have only one (stationary) state. If you have task-rest-task-rest
data, you may want to run separate ICA on task part and rest part
separately, or perform two-(or more) model AMICA to hope to let them
capture different states of data.

Sorry for writing quick and non-native English limitation.

Makoto