[Eeglablist] How does transferring ICA matrixes between same-subject data sets affect further processing?

Marius Klug marius.s.klug at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 04:55:59 PDT 2016

Hey Duncan and all!

Yeah, you really should ask Prof. Gramann's group ;-) (Duncan was doing an
internship with us for a month, I am one of Prof. Gramann's PhD
students...) We were discussing this at some point, I saw this mail and
thought "Ah that sounds similar to what Duncan asked me about, let's check
what the EEGLAB Pros answer!" and only later realized that it was actually
you asking this question! So, great to have this discussion here!

I'd also say just try out everything and check, this is going to be
interesting. You know that we're still exploring this ourselves, so well...
just try out and report to us and the list ;-) We're experiencing heavy
artifacts of all kinds in our datasets, which is also due to the Phasespace
Mocap system and the HTC Vive VR headset... Basically, we're in the stage
of finding suitable solutions for data cleaning and source separation and
do it similarly, trying out what works best at this point. Evelyn
Jungnickel just told me that she repeatedly did ICA, then checked where the
algorithm had troubles separating the sources (e.g. by checking if there
are time periods in which all the components have strong activity), then
cleaned those parts out of the original data set and then repeated the
process until the components appeared comparably clean. ICA and denoising
is a delicate process for sure... Data cleaning and source separation is
the toughest frontier in MoBI research at the moment I'd say, and hopefully
ever more sophisticated solutions will emerge on the research horizon! On
another note there's also a more general thing "Joint Decorrelation" (
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24990357), which might turn out to be
useful in some cases. But as I said, we're still on this ourselves... and
there's also the valid point you raised once that the more you clean the
data the more signal you are also prone to lose in the process. No perfect
solutions unfotunately!

As a question from my part: I thought that the ICA components combined
would always contain the whole original dataset, just split up differently,
and if you subtract all components you get zero at all channels. I take
that is true for the data set from which the ICA was calculated? So, if I
understand this correctly, you say that's not the case any more if you take
the weights and apply them to longer/other data sets? Really interesting.
But I'm afraid I don't fully understand this... Makoto you wrote that the
parts unaccounted for by the ICA would be spread through all components, so
if all components are subtracted, there should again be nothing left, or
where am I on the wrong track here? Also, the backprojection from
components to channels is just a matrix multiplication with the remaining
components' weights inversed, but if there's no component left, this would
be an empty matrix, or how would this work mathematically? I might have
gotten something wrong here, though...

Cheers,
Marius