[Eeglablist] Defining channels locations for Biosemi data

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 25 16:19:08 PST 2016

Dear Enrico,

There are differences between spherical head model and MNI head model. The
former is perfectly round (like a soccer ball) while the latter is more
like a human head. The electrode montages optimized to these models have
different coordinates.

> (electrodes defined by BESA trepass the head model border)

This means that the electrodes are below certain line of circumference. You
can roughly estimate this line to be the one that connects Iz, Nz, and both
Pre-Auricular locations.

Just FYI, there was a related discussion probably 3-4 years ago about what
exactly the scalp topo outline means. I investigated it and found that at
least for EEGLAB's scalp topos the definition of the line leaves ambiguity;
it's not exactly 50% of something. I think I read Oostenveld & Praamstra
2001 or something, and also communicated with the first author of the paper
(we know him of course!)

Makoto