[Eeglablist] baseline for short trial durations

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 21 23:24:34 PST 2017

Dear Jumana,

> Do you reduce dimensional with PCA first?

Yes, this PCA is to reduce the data dimension for ICA.

> If we want to avoid PCA how should one run AMICA?

You can just skip this PCA stage and just run AMICA/infomax.

> I do not want to add non-linearity to my data. I only want to use ICA to
remove eye blinks from my data.

Does PCA dimension reduction introduce non-linearity into data? Can you
point me to the source (paper, article, etc). I have never heard of it.

> Also, how should one ensure they are not rank deficient after
interpolating.

After interpolation, the data are rank deficient because the interpolated
channels are weighted sum of other channels (i.e. carries no unique
information).

> I will reduce one channel after average referencing, but do I need
further reductions after interpolation?

Yes, if you interpolate 10 channels, the data rank is reduced by 10.
In my new code, it uses the data rank of smaller values of either estimated
rank or number of channels rejected by clean_rawdata(). I found this part
is a little bit tricky, and for unknown reason this rank estimation can go
wrong from time to time.

>From UA49 to Newark,

Makoto