[Eeglablist] How to calculate EEG asymmetry index?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 26 13:31:56 PST 2017

Dear Frederic,

You need to code. See the following page for the example.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_useful_EEGLAB_code#How_to_extract_EEG_power_of_frequency_bands

> I then calculate asymmetry log(absolute power F4)-log(absolute power F3)
to calculate the index, or even using a mean of absolute power for groups
of electrodes. Do you think that is the right?

Yes, that makes sense. See the example code and you can do it.

> Does the calculation of asymmetry index requires the use of absolute
power?

No I don't think so. Using dB makes the data easier to handle.

Makoto