[Eeglablist] Brain PSD thresholds by frequency band

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:47:20 PST 2017

Dear Alberto,

> I get a lot of ICs that are very difficult to label so I also take in
account PSD.

If the spectra curve is not very smooth or does not follow 1/f, your ICA
decomposition may have a problem.

> However I still dont know if there are any thresholds which I could use
as a reference to evaluate if the IC could be EEG or not.

You cannot apply a simple threshold on one band to call something EEG or
noise. Particularly, the low frequency band has a very high power and
standard deviation as well.

Try my plugin to evaluate spectral fluctuation and cross-frequency
correlations if you are interested in.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/CrossFreqPowerSpec

Makoto