[Eeglablist] Is it better to run ICAs with average reference or with vertex reference prior to ICA for during data cleaning?

Dezhong Yao dyao at uestc.edu.cn
Thu Apr 6 22:36:28 PDT 2017

Dear all
    In general, ICA and re-reference are linear operation, the order is not a problem in theory, however, ICA is a numeric operation, the actual neumeric errors may be different before or after reference transform.
    My suggestion is to have Reference first transformed to zero reference, then any operations, linar or non-linear,  are really not a problem forever.
   There is  a free software REST at www.neuro.uestc.edu.cn/rest for realizing such a transform, where you can also find some comparative studies between REST, average reference, linked ear, or single point reference
   Best wishes

----------------
 Dezhong Yao  PhD
Cheung Kong Professor of Neuroengineering, Neuroimaging
E-mail: dyao at uestc.edu.cn
Fax: 86-28-83208238; Tel: 86-28-83201018
Director, Key Laboratory for NeuroInformation,  Ministry of Education, China
              International Joint Research Center for NeuroInformation, Ministry of Science and Technology, China
Dean,      School of Life Science and Technology, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Sichuan,Chengdu 610054, China
Director,  Center for Information in Medicine, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, China
http://www.neuro.uestc.edu.cn/bci/member/yao/yao.html
尧德中 电子科技大学 生命科学与技术学院/信息医学研究中心/神经信息教育部重点实验室/神经信息国际联合研究中心

 Is it better to run ICAs with average reference or with vertex reference prior to ICA for during data cleaning?

David Gilbert

Department of Psychology

Southern Illinois University Carbondale