[Eeglablist] Trial-by-trial median absolute deviation (MAD) of amplitude and latency

Morett, Laura laura.morett at yale.edu
Mon May 1 22:21:31 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,
In order to obtain a measure of inter-trial variability within subjects, I would like to compute trial-by-trial median absolute deviation (MAD) of amplitude and latency within epochs.  Given that two published papers have used EEGLab to do this (citations below), I know it is possible to at least output data in a format that will allow computation of this measure, if not to compute it directly in EEGLab.  However, I am unsure of which function(s) to use to do this.  Any guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Laura Morett

Arazi, A., Censor, N., & Dinstein, I. (2017). Neural variability quenching predicts individual perceptual abilities. Journal of Neuroscience, 37, 97-109.

Milne, E. (2011). Increased intra-participant variability in children with autistic spectrum disorders: evidence from single-trial analysis of evoked EEG. Frontiers in psychology, 2, 51.

Laura M. Morett
Hilibrand Postdoctoral Fellow
Yale Child Study Center
230 S. Frontage Rd.
New Haven, CT 06520

As of August 16, 2017:
Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology
Educational Neuroscience Initiative
University of Alabama
Box 870231
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231

Email: laura.morett at yale.edu<mailto:laura.morett at yale.edu>
Phone: (203) 737-4586
Web: http://lauramorett.strikingly.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lauramorett.strikingly.com_&d=CwMF-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=7RydtjFxlOLitiTKeuyufwjZVnuS2cr0LD3ZBHQd6QA&m=hcKHc9qk081CzOBRcCJRuXs-41-8mLMuX9gmiw_QG_g&s=UQlF7t1IaNyCaJW5l4lvUXFZvEYnMtD2_GIYvnLLIaE&e=>