[Eeglablist] Trial-by-trial median absolute deviation (MAD) of amplitude and latency

Elizabeth Milne e.milne at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed May 3 03:38:42 PDT 2017

Hello Laura,
As far as I'm aware, EEGLAB does not have a function for computing MAD, but
matlab has a function 'mad' that will do this. You just need to output the
data that you're interested in to your matlab workspace and then run mad on
this data. Typing 'help mad' into the matlab command line will provide you
with information about how to use the function.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

On 2 May 2017 at 06:21, Morett, Laura <laura.morett at yale.edu> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> In order to obtain a measure of inter-trial variability within subjects, I
> would like to compute trial-by-trial median absolute deviation (MAD) of
> amplitude and latency within epochs.  Given that two published papers have
> used EEGLab to do this (citations below), I know it is possible to at least
> output data in a format that will allow computation of this measure, if not
> to compute it directly in EEGLab.  However, I am unsure of which
> function(s) to use to do this.  Any guidance anyone can provide would be
> greatly appreciated.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Laura Morett
>

> Arazi, A., Censor, N., & Dinstein, I. (2017). Neural variability quenching
> predicts individual perceptual abilities. *Journal of Neuroscience*, *37*,
> 97-109.
>

> Milne, E. (2011). Increased intra-participant variability in children with
> autistic spectrum disorders: evidence from single-trial analysis of evoked
> EEG. *Frontiers in psychology*, *2*, 51.

> Laura M. Morett
>
> Hilibrand Postdoctoral Fellow
>
> Yale Child Study Center
>
> 230 S. Frontage Rd.
>
> New Haven, CT 06520
>

> As of August 16, 2017:
>
> Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology
>
> Educational Neuroscience Initiative
>
> University of Alabama
>
> Box 870231
>
> Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231
>

> Email: laura.morett at yale.edu
>
> Phone: (203) 737-4586
>
> Web: http://lauramorett.strikingly.com/
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lauramorett.strikingly.com_&d=CwMF-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=7RydtjFxlOLitiTKeuyufwjZVnuS2cr0LD3ZBHQd6QA&m=hcKHc9qk081CzOBRcCJRuXs-41-8mLMuX9gmiw_QG_g&s=UQlF7t1IaNyCaJW5l4lvUXFZvEYnMtD2_GIYvnLLIaE&e=>

> ucsd.edu

Elizabeth Milne
Reader in Cognitive Neuroscience
Department of Psychology