[Eeglablist] convert EEG montage from bipolar to unipolar

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri May 12 16:26:39 PDT 2017

Dear Mubaraki,

Ok this is the solution I learned from my colleague.
Let X be the (single-channel referenced) original EEG data and Xb be the
bipolar-montage version of it.
Using a bipolar-referencing transform matrix M, the relation of X and Xb
can be written as

Xb = M * X

Now M is a known matrix: if your bipolar montage is referenced as F1 - F3
for example, then F1 is 1 and F3 is -1. I guess the directions of the signs
do not matter as long as they are consistent with other pairs, such as
C1-C3 etc.
After making M, you multiply M^-1 from left, you obtain

X = M^-1 * Xb

Thus, by multiplying the inverse matrix of the known bipolar-referencing
transform matrix M, you obtain the original signal.

What a smart solution! I'm proud of him.

Makoto