[Eeglablist] convert EEG montage from bipolar to unipolar

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu May 25 12:35:12 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

Update--
I discussed this method with the colleague who taught me about this trick
because I got an inquiry about it off the list.
He said that he would use it only to draw a scalp topography, and
performing signal processing using the 'recovered' full-channel signal is
not recommended.

Again, let X be the (single-channel referenced) original EEG data and Xb
the bipolar-montage version of it.
Using a bipolar-referencing transform matrix M, the relation of X and Xb
can be written as

Xb = M * X

Suppose X has 6 channels F1, F2, C1, C2, P1, P2, and bipolar-referencing
was done with F1-F2, C1-C2, P1-P2.
Then, Xb is 3*t, M is 3*6, and X is 6*t (t is time).
The matrix M is

1 -1 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 -1 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 -1

(sorry but I don't have code)
To compute M^-1, one should use pinv() (i.e. pseudo-inverse) and the
recovered full-channel data are NOT full-ranked (and this is NOT the only
solution)
To recover full channel data, you also need to have something like F1-C1,
C2-P1, P2-F2 so that the matrix is full-ranked and square, but such data
are not usually available (as far as I know, Paul Sajda presented such a
complicated reference system to address high-amplitude artifact in
simultaneous fMRI-EEG recording).

So the recommended use of this solution is just to draw scalp topography
for convenience.

Accordingly, let me correct my previous statement.

> Thus, by multiplying the inverse matrix of the known bipolar-referencing
transform matrix M, you obtain the original signal.

This is true ONLY IF you have redundantly referenced channels (which is
very rare). Otherwise, it does NOT properly convert standard bipolar
montage to a single-referenced data (because M is not square), therefore
analyzing the 'recovered' data should be limited to specific purposes only.

Sorry if my previous writing was misleading.

Makoto