[Eeglablist] re-epoching; losing a trial

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Wed May 31 14:46:08 PDT 2017

Hi Yvonne,

> Thank you Andreas, the problem indeed seems to be that the epoch has to include t=0 (so it had nothing to do with the re-epoching I did). Epoching at [1 25] the first time around actually results in an empty event table, rather than the shifted one, so the shifting is something weird that happens on top of the other problem when epoching the second time.
Indeed the issue is not related to re-epoching but epoching in general.

> Your workaround seems to solve my problem, but I find it hard to believe that excluding the first bit of an epoch is unintended usage of the function.
The point is actually a different one. It is not related that it is the first bit of an epoch but how events are processed and stored during epoching in EEGLAB.

Epochs are usually defined relative to the occurrence of an event. Events with latencies outside of any epoch are most commonly removed as they are not necessarily useful and ambiguities might arise to which epoch an event belongs to. Now it is not in general problematic, however unintuitive if the event defining an epoch is removed.

Furthermore, the way EEGLAB stores event latencies does not allow events outside of epochs without further complications: If epoch length is, for example, 500 samples, events within the first epoch have latencies (stored in samples) ranging from 1 to 500, in the second epoch from 501 to 1000, etc. Thus, the latency of an event 100 samples before the beginning of epoch 2 would incorrectly fall into the latency range of epoch 1. So, essentially this is a limitation of the file format which cannot be easily changed. The shifted event table is, however, indeed a bug. Result should be an empty event table.

Best,
Andreas