[Eeglablist] ICA misinformation

Johanna Wagner joa.wagn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 14:06:52 PDT 2017

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here on what EEG is and what
channels actually measure as Clemens wrote

Connectivity should never be computed between EEG channels. Due to volume
conduction, signals recorded at all channels are a linear mixture of
sources. Signals at all channels are therefore highly correlated. To use No
source separation before estimating connectivity is simply wrong from my
understanding.
If you reject artifacts with ICA and then go back to the channel space you
have the same problem since all brain sources are still mixed at the
channel level....

see also Clemens Brunners paper (http://journal.frontiersin.org
/article/10.3389/fncom.2016.00121/full)
and