[Eeglablist] FW: ICA misinformation

otte georges georges.otte at pandora.be
Wed Jun 14 15:15:06 PDT 2017

Subject: RE: [Eeglablist] ICA misinformation

Dear Johanna

The model of volume conduction would be completely correct if brains were a kind of  balloons filled with saline and sources would be dipoles suspended in it at fixed places with recording electrodes placed on the outside.

Although of course volume conduction is a reality in brains (Nunez) we are especially interested in communication transfert between nodes in several well defined networks and delays in the communication from a node A to a node B will be reflected in a non zero phase lag between the signals. Of course one must use a measure of information transfert (such as Nolte’s imaginary part of the coherence or other equal or better parameters to extract the phase diff NEQ zero cf Pasqual Marqui)

So If one does find a phase difference between two scalp electrodes that is different from zero that cannot be caused by volume conduction, can it?

I agree that analysis in source space will provide even better fine grained insight in network communication patterns but I am not so convinced that ICA is the best way to pinpoint those network hub sources especially in low channel recordings where there is a real possibility of overrepresentation (more sources then recording electrodes). We know a lot of those network graphs by extensive DTI and fMRI studies (cf Catani, De Schotten)  an,d while I agree  that ICA is indeed a very elegant statistical technique I think we must also admit that it is subject to  limiting conditions that perhaps are more prominent in low grade (19 ch) recordings.

A lot of people (I include myself) have been very impressed by the power of ICA to separate sources in the toy model (cocktail party model) where all sources are nicely independent and stationary with well behaving non gaussian distributions but in brains things are seldom that simple and synchronization and network communications can result in lumping of sources into a same component.

I prefer swLoreta for source analysis as it more in relation to neurophysiological reality we know from DTI “neuroanatomy”.

Again, I absolutely admire the statistical elegance of ICA but feel that we -as a scientific community- must try to resolve all errors and pitfalls that analysis algorithms such as ICA may present to improve robustness and clinical validity of our methods.

I find the input to this list very positive and very rewarding.

Sincerely