[Eeglablist] ICA Misinformation

Stefan Debener stefan.debener at uni-oldenburg.de
Tue Jun 20 01:44:36 PDT 2017

Hi there,

It feels odd to me that an open source community spends time and effort
into dealing with commercial software packages others apparently make
good money with - by selling it to clinicians acquiring it in good
faith. It should be the responsibility of commercial software developers
to make sure their implementations are accurate, not the responsibility
of this forum. Matter of fact, ICA has been so successful that many
providers included it into their products. The few developers I know
have done this with care, by validating their implementations against
those distributed with EEGLAB. Does this hold for the developers of
WinEEG as well? Who are the developers of WinEEG? How do they advise
their "thousands of clinicians" on how to use ICA? Do they just offer a
button to click or do they really care about their customers? Why are
we, the experienced ICA users in this forum, blamed here?

Again, we should keep in mind the complexity of artifacts. Arno's reply
(https://sccn.ucsd.edu/~arno/download/clean_edf_file_analysis2.pdf)
nicely shows that there was a strong lateral eye movement artifact
present at sec 3.25 Robert apparently ignored. When it comes to eye
related artifacts, several sources may contribute even to a simple eye
blink artifact as recorded with scalp EEG. While most of the blink may
come from movement of the eyelids (causing the large monophasic
deflection), some eye muscles need to contract as well to make the
eyelids move, no doubt about it (all human behaviour requires muscle
contraction, hence is generated by an electrial signature or "EEG
artifact"). Sometimes the EMG initiation of a blink is visible after
good ICA decompositions as a short, low amplitude high-frequency burst
at the onset of the eye blink artifact (a hint of this "EMG" initiation
of the blink is evident for instance in figure 5A of the CORRMAP
reference paper (Fig 5A, black trace; in Viola et al., 2009, Clin
Neurophysiology). At the same time the eyeballs rotate during a blink
(interestingly in different direction, depending on whether the blink is
voluntary or spontaneous! See
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15792897), and because the eyeballs
are electrically charged as well this contribution can be expected to
leave a trace in the EEG. Then of course we have lateral eye movements
as in Roberts recording, and microsaccades and maybe some other
processes like eyelid fluttering I am not well aware of... To avoid the
"mess", some people may prefer an eyes closed EEG recording condition,
aiming for artifact-free EEG. However, in many subjects one can clearly
observe a slow rotation of the eye balls, which again will contribute an
artifact in the EEG. I don't want to know how many "abnormal delta"
diagnoses this may have caused...

More likely brain processes are more complex than EEG artifacts, but the
complexity of artifacts should not be disregarded, as artifacts can
easily result in misinterpretation. So, ignoring artifact is NOT the
solution. I hope there is agreement here, at least.

In the hand of experienced users, ICA has been shown to be super useful
in artifact correction, but far from perfect! Experienced users usually
do not advertise ICA as the magic solution to every problem EEG comes
with! Limitations are usually mentioned very clearly in discussion
sections of methods papers, but of course authors cannot be blamed if
readers do not read their whole paper. Robert's line of reasoning seems
to be that because ICA "adulterates" the EEG signal in between blinks it
does not work properly. In order to test this bold assumption it would
be necessary to monitor all eye-related movements carefully (eye
tracking & magnetic search coil) and simultaneously with EEG. Only then
we would know what the eye blink generators are actually doing in
between blinks, and how well, or how poorly, ICA captures and
disentangles the different contributors. It seems unlikely to me that
eye artifact generators are perfectly electrically silent in between
blinks! In any case, such a multi-modal study should be done for MORE
than 19 channels and for MORE than 1 min 41 secs per subject! It has
been discussed frequently here and in several papers that ICA benefits
from more channels and longer recording durations (and adequate
preprocessing, etc...).

In my view, reasons for the confusion may be a poor software
implementation, the insufficient consideration of EEG artifact
complexity, and the relying on far from perfect recording conditions.
Therefore it is not justified to make any bold statements on "ICA
misinformation". Better would be to make proposals on how to adress the
issue of ICA sensitivity/specificity in an open-minded way. This would
require data to determine the sensitivty and specificity of ICA for
removing eye artifact along with concurrent eye tracking and magnetic
search coil recordings. As I mentioned before, and others have agreed,
relying on the phase of the raw EEG trace is NOT a good gold standard.
Even for high-SNR brain signals such as alpha activity some form of
spatial filtering is necessary to optimize it (even a bipolar channel is
a spatial filter!). The best approach would be to consult with SSVEP
experts like Ramesh's group, and discuss an experiment where phase is
known (or can be reasonably well estimated by the experimental
manipulations). Maybe the company behind WinEEG, or the company seeling
plenty of EEG software on appliedneuroscience.com, wants to sponsor such
a multi-modal study?

Georges, I don't think we have a pessimistic view on the EEG, we enjoy
the challenge that comes with a scientific view. Maybe good part of this
discussion comes down to a scientific versus clinical view on EEG. If
that's true, this would be sad news (for patients, actually!), but
explain why a good part of the applied neurofeedback community seems so
disconnected from the scientific EEG community. BTW, Georges, can you
explain why your link www.zscoreloretanfb.be is a Belgian website
selling Tommy Hilfiger outfit? I am not interested in Tommy Hilfiger
outfit, I only want to know what zscoreloretanfb is.

Arno, I truly admire your patience!

Best,
Stefan