[Eeglablist] High pass (FIR) filter

Michelini, Giorgia giorgia.michelini at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 03:16:16 PDT 2017

Dear EEGLAB list,

I have pre-processed my data with EEGLAB version 13.5.4b in Matlab R2014a and used the default FIR filter to filter my data, setting the lower edge to 0.5 Hz. In Makoto's preprocessing pipeline<https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#High-pass_filter_the_data_at_1-Hz_.28for_ICA.2C_ASR.2C_and_CleanLine.29> I have read that "1-Hz cutoff in EEGLAB is actually 1-Hz pass-band edge, and actually -6dB point, which is a standard definition of 'cut off frequency', is at 0.5 Hz."

Apologies if these might seem silly questions:

1.       Does this mean that the 'cut off frequency' is at 0.5 Hz for a 1 Hz high pass?

2.       What would the 'cut off frequency' be for the 0.5 Hz high pass filter I used in EEGLAB?

3.       And what value would it be correct to report in a publication?

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Giorgia

Giorgia Michelini
PhD student
MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King's College London
De Crespigny Park, London, SE5 8AF, UK
Email: giorgia.michelini at kcl.ac.uk<mailto:giorgia.michelini at kcl.ac.uk>