[Eeglablist] **preprocessing

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 17:32:47 PDT 2017

Hello Zhaleh, notes below best wishes. In general the two ways should be
leading to approximately the same results/patterns.

************************************

You can drop really noisy eye channels, and ICA should still pickup eye
artifact ICs regardless. It's not clear whether your noisy eye channels
comes from eye movements, and from something like facial EMG and/or
tension/channel noise at eye channel locations. ICs shouldn't be used to
control for noise at a few or single channel. However, an IC source that
covers that region, upon removal of that IC, may decrease the total amount
of noise at such focused (eye) channels.

Your first way seems fine to get data that should be relatively clean. You
can add the following to the end of the first way:
Re-checking the data for residual artifactual epochs/segments [including
removal of epochs/segments)

Your second way, it's not clear from your notes where you start and stop
the "do the works on each segment". I assume you mean you stop doing stuff
for each segment, and then do ICA on all remaining epochs/segments.

Extra notes:
One should re-check the rebuilt EEG data after IC rejection using visual
and semi-automatic methods (e.g., ICA based detection of artifactual
epochs).

One can re-apply the ICA to the full continuous data, and then remove ICs,
and then remove any still dirty time periods or epochs/segments. This can
leave you with more data, as some epochs/segments that are rejected before
ICA will be much cleaner and can be kept in.

Caveat: with only 32 channels you may want to focus on common neural ICs
across subjects instead of rebuilding the EEG data after dropping ICs.

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 4:29 AM, Jaleh Mohammad alipoor <sugmad973 at yahoo.com